Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Feliz Navidad a todos! A family from the church has invited me over for a Christmas dinner tonight after Liturgy (Christmas church service). This is the first Christmas that I will be away from family. However, the meaning of Christmas is that Christ is with us. Christ became incarnate and this is the best gift anyone could ever ask for. Although sad and away from home (and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sad to know that I have a new gorgeous niece that I can't see for a while - congratulations Cory, Christy, Emelia and Gracie!) I have a wonderful Orthodox Church to go to to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas.

Here is a picture of a man who sells Christmas cards on the street. The streets here are sooo crazy and full of last minute shoppers. These cards sell for $150 pesos (25 cents) per card.

It will be weird to have a Christmas full of sunshine and warm weather. Although I would love a little snow on Christmas day I can't complain one bit.

I got my first pay yesterday - $12.500 pesos ($20US)!! I have a small job conversing with people in English. For the moment I enjoy it and look forward to learning more about the people.

December 29th will be my last day in my apartment - it costs way too much and being alone with out Allie has been very tough. (The picture to the right is one view from the 16th floor of my current apartment building - the pool is also up there.) After talking with Matuska Martha, I realized it's not healthy to be without people. People are meant to fellowship with other people. One of the reasons I was so sad is that I would pass most of the days alone. So, I have chosen to live in a hostel type of house with five other people from other countries.

It's in a poorer area. When I was walking through the streets to get there, the spirit of the people was lighter and more vibrant. Not to say that rich people don't have life, but for some reason this area felt more humble, down to earth, and alive. So, I am really excited to share with other people my age and similarly traveling like myself. I can stay there until March when I head back if I want. However, I could change living arrangements one more time.

Anyway, I hope you are all well and Merry Christmas! Christ is Born, Glorify Him!

No comments: