Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Jaime (the president of the Young Orthodox Group) and Katia (just came from the US to spend a year in Chile teaching English) are in the middle holding Irene. They are Irene's God parents. Irene was baptized this past Sunday, the same day as my new niece Hannah. Paulina and Carlos are the parents and Carlos is the one who corresponds with people from the EOC (Evangelical Orthodox Church, the church I belonged to when I was younger). Paulina and Carlos have been two of the most hospitable people since I have been to Chile. I am truly blessed to know them.




Here Padre Fransisco Salvador is baptizing Irene. He didn't dunk her all the way under. He put her bottom half under the water and put water on her head. She was completely calm during the whole process. Also, they wait about 15-20 minutes after liturgy (church service) to do the baptism. The closest family and friends stay for the service.

Before I had to rush to work at the hostel, I got to hold Irene. She smiled for me! It was as if I was holding little Hannah. It might not seem a big deal to you all, but it was just what I needed that day, a smile from a 2 month old.

No comments: