Monday, April 6, 2009

Being here in Eagle River, Alaska has been wonderful. I love being able to spend time with the family and also go to all of the Lenten services during the week.

It's interesting how my faith hasn't been challenged that much just being around family and being so comfortable. While in Chile it was constantly a battle and I was more aware of God's love b/c I didn't have family there. God's love hasn't changed, but it's more of a struggle for me to stay in communion with Him through prayer b/c it's easier to talk directly with family about things. Learning how to daily put my trust in Him. At the moment I'm super thankful for all He has given me like my family and this beautiful community!


Jessica Sorenson and I walked up to the chapel Saturday morning to say some prayers. The chapel is located in the middle of the woods. She's a sweet girl from the St. John's church here in Eagle River. For those of you who know him - she's Father Jack Sparks' granddaughter. You can read more about this community at http://www.stjohnalaska.org/.





Inside the chapel. An icon of Jesus is in the middle with Mary to his right and St. John the Baptist on his left. The longer icon of just one person to our left is St. Herman of Alaska and to our right - I am not sure who that is.

Peter Lamb and I climbed up Mt. Baldi, but of course drove about half way up maybe more. It was still a nice hike in the snow and looking out over Eagle River was beautiful!

2 comments:

Joel and Tessi said...

Nice! Tell Jessica and Chris I said hello. :)

Mindy said...

That makes sense about your communion with God in the different circumstances. Interesting. That will give me some things to think about...

I'm glad you're having a great time in Alaska. The view on the mountain looks amazing. :)